Sunday, December 16, 2012

Getting Sound to Work Again on Ubuntu 12.04

Well, it happen again--I did what I thought would be some simple updates on my Dell Vostro 1500 running Ubuntu 12.04 and boom--no sound!  I did a little googling and found this very useful write up.

I was unable to get anything to work (but I understood what the issue was by following the steps in the write up), then I come across the section titled: Getting the ALSA drivers from a *fresh* kernel.

I performed the following commands to freshen up my ALSA drivers.


sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils


sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils


sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop


aplay -l


After running aplay -l and subsequently seeing that my drivers looked secured, I head back to The Casters YouTube video on Terminal and Initial Objects that I want to watch and was happy to listen to audio again!  Thank you LordRaiden!